pybsddb and python 2.3

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 15 11:54:54 EST 2003

Johannes Stiehler <johannes.stiehler at fast.no> writes:

> does anybody know what the long-term strategy will be for synchronizing
> pybsddb and python bsddb module development?

The pybsddb project is dead; all further improvements are incorporated
into the Python source code. Only if there is significant demand (and
I guess a volunteer), another release of pybsddb will be made.

> Pybsddb seems to be incorporated into python now, but the sourceforge
> version supports sleepycat bssdb 4.1 and the version in python only 4.0.

Not anymore; 2.3a2 will support bsddb 4.1 as well.

> Will this be updated for the next release or should we all stick to db 4.0
> in order not to introduce incompatibilities with future python releases
> into our code?

You might want to stick to db 4.0 anyway; I think the changes that
Sleepycat made for 4.1 are still debated. Of course, if you don't use
transactions, it might not matter.

Regards,
Martin