Coding standard: Prefixing variables to indicate datatype

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 18 21:31:51 EST 2003

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
news:b0cugo$97r$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> In article <3E28D273.13497D3E at alcyone.com>,
> Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> >
> >Furthermore, it's inherently a string-based operation, therefore
the
> >method should go on the string.  I personally find ','.join(S)
extremely
> >inuitive and readable.
>
> That's presuming that there should be a method at all, which is
where I
> and others disagree.

Would you have continued to require 'import string' to access it?
or would you have added it to builtins?  Whichever, would you
have done the same with some or all the other string module functions?

>  And while I agree that ','.join(S) is intuitive
> and readable, that is no exclusion to calling it ugly, too.

And likewise, admitting that it is a bit ugly, at least to some,
is no exclusion to thinking that it is very handy to have it
directly available, just like its quasi-inverse, .split(),
and with the same syntax.

Terry J. Reedy