Novel Thoughts on Scripting and Languages

Tim Cargile tecargile at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:32:35 EST 2003

judoscript at hotmail.com (James Huang) wrote in message news:<52719db8.0301062130.5299a0ff at posting.google.com>...
> Perl and Python programmers are all material witnesses
> of how scripting can greatly improve productivity.

Well I don't know how material they are in this job market,
but I sure Msrs. Bourne and Korn might have something to
say about your assertion.  What do you think the cost of
implementing all the shell scripts in existence in 'C'
would have been?  Have you ever seen a 7K line shell script?
Get my drift?

> That's why scripting languages enjoy great success. Scripting
> means that we can issue OS commends from within a
> full-fledged programming language -- a scripting language.

snip, snip

I say ... one job market ... one programming language.
Now that would be interesting.

snip, snip

> The rule of thumb is, if your scripts make a lot of
> system calls, stay where you are; otherwise, Java is
> well worth investigating. If you do, then do it with
> the right tool -- JudoScript -- you won't regret it.

Looks bad for the shell scriptors, fer sure.

> Wish you all a fruitful year of 2003!

Ditto.  But I'll be working on my KarateScript.