Python use growing or shrinking

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Thu Jan 23 13:22:36 EST 2003

 Padraig at Linux.ie wrote:
> Chris Keyes wrote:
>> IBM will never use Python for everything...
> Why do you say this?

I think the point is that "never", "always", "nothing", and "everything"
are always hyperboles.  There is more than one good programming language in
the world.

Would it really be a good thing if *everything* were done in Python (even
for those who only use Python)?  I don't think so -- there'd be less
innovation.  Python has proved itself a very efficient collector of ideas
from other languages (there are a number of reasons why it should be better
than many other languages at that -- more to do with motivation than
design, I think).

I'm not sure that Python really needs major corporate backing, nor even if
it would be a good thing to receive it. One of Python's unique stengths is
the very high affinity it has for open-source development (a consequence of
clear design and short learning curves).  Corporate users are less
concerned about such advantages (they use paid professional programmers in
whom they can afford to invest a lot of training) and they may even be
threatened by it (difficulty of obscuring source, blocking reengineering,
lower perceived value due to fewer lines of code, generally lower barrier
to competition).  Even when corporations do participate in open-source
projects, they have a tendency to haul development along into their own
direction (not that this is unreasonable of them, but it can be unhealthy
for the project in the long run).

IMHO, it's a lot better if a lot of little companies use it. And, I
actually think that may be true now.  And as for our little company, Python
use is definitely growing. ;-D

Cheers,
Terry

--