December 2002 comp.lang.* stats

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 18:04:13 EST 2003

In message <mailman.1043529946.4534.python-list at python.org>, Laura Creighton
wrote:

> would no

> > > Spam is probably a problem best ignored.  It would probably
> > > affect all those groups equally anyway.
> > >
> > > -Peter
> >
> > I agree. Plus, I'm not interested in working THAT hard to be that
> > anal-retentive about data which some would argue is still vague enough to
> be
> > discounted.
> >
> > -Aaron.
>
> Just FYI -- I am aware this is something that you are mostly doing for
> fun, and don't want to spoil it for you -- but you mentioned that you
> wanted to be 'more scientific' about this.  This question -- do
> I bother with this data?  is it significant?  is the meat of the
> 'is what I am doing science' question.  I also want to check to make
> sure that you are aware that 'I don't know the factors which contribute
> to having X in set Y' or even 'Nobody knows' or 'It is impossible to
> know' implies 'it will affect all sets equally'.  That belief is bad
> science.

uh-oh. the science police! ;)

yes, Laura, I'm aware that there are too many unknowns to make this hardcore.
I'm just having fun, solving problems w/Python, and enjoying the fame that it's
generating among all five of you who wrote back.

Plus, I'm enjoying seeing python come out above perl and javascript (after I'd
eliminated a bug!).

Cheers,
Aaron.