Is PY patching a problem (esp. on Windows)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Jan 16 07:35:48 EST 2003

    Dennis> If I understand correctly , Python looks only at the file
    Dennis> timestamp to determine whether to re-compile a PY file to create
    Dennis> a PYC file.  If so, what prevents the following scenario:
    Dennis> The PYC file is thus out of date.

Just remove all your pyc files as part of the update/install process.  You
shouldn't ship pyc's anyway.

In a batteries-included setup like Python, the installation process (at
least on Unix) winds up compiling lots of files I will never use, so I
occasionally go through and wipe out all my py[co] files anyway.

Skip