GUI speed

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed Jan 8 23:00:36 EST 2003

FWIW it was the complexity of building GUIs in Java that made me finally try
Python. When I found wxPython where the real work is done by C++ classes
binding to the underlying native toolkit I was pleasantly surprised to find
that even plain drawing operations compared favorably with their AWT and
Swing counterparts and nothing in the basic UI components such as menus and
controls is slow, you could build a standalone Python/wxPython program with
py2exe and nobody would ever know you did it in Python based on the
responsiveness and relatively small memory footprint of the application. I
think Java 1.4 and higher is supposed to take advantage of hardware video
acceleration if available, but at least the version I tried didn't run that
much faster than what I saw with 1.3.x

As others have suggested though, you really have to at least try some
samples yourself and make your own judgement.

ka