MIB parser for documentation

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 13:07:43 EST 2003

Juan Diaz <jfda1971 at netscape.net> writes:

>I'm looking for a python MIB parser to automatically generate tables
>that are easy to paste into a Word or WordPerfect document.  Does anyone
>knows about one ?

Since all you want is the output why do you care if it's written in Python?
I don't think there is a Python one specifically, I think at least one of the
SNMP projects claims to be working on one but I'm not going to hold my
breath.  If you really do want Python functionality you may be able to use
something like libsmi (http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/) - the MIB
compiler can generate XML which you can parse with Python or it can apparently
even generate Python dicts (though I haven't tried it and don't know what you
actually get).  Libsmi is one of the better known (and trusted) packages but
I'm sure there's others with similar functionality.

Actually, I'm not really sure what you mean by 'tables' - MIB compilers etc.
are still a bit of a mystery to me so I may have misunderstood what you're
looking for.

Eddie