[ann] Minimal Python project

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Sun Jan 12 22:37:32 EST 2003

Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
> You know what my goals are.
> Smaller, more flexible, faster, easier to change,
> easier to maintain, easier to keep backwards
> compatible, more portable due to less C code,
> down-sizeable by features (which is most difficult),
> the full catastrophe...

Well ok, it wasn't clear before what the entire set of goals were.

> We will try to implement Python as exact and clean
> as possible. The langage should be implemented
> completely.

Are you going to try to keep the C API backwards compatible?

Are you going to include exact implementations of currently
not-really-documented features such as metaclasses?

Will stuff like frame objects still work as documented?  Do you expect
to be able to run the current version of pdb.py without changes?

I don't think you should necessarily hold yourself to any of the
above, but that's just me.

> It will be a major amount of work to deduce the
> dependencies of features, and how to arrange them
> in a scalable shape. I do believe that the core
> group will help us with that.

I'm pretty excited by the project.  I think you're going to push the
limits of the Python language harder than they've ever been pushed
against before.  And you'll be in a unique position to actually remove
the limits when you hit them, rather than having to work around them.
I hope you'll trust yourself to use such opportunities when it's right
to do so.