Is there really a default source encoding?

Magnus Lie Hetland mlh at furu.idi.ntnu.no
Wed Jan 22 22:57:09 EST 2003

The 2.3a1 "what's new" document, section 3 says that iso8859-1 is the
default source encoding, and that the encoding only affects Unicode
string literals... But if I put non-ASCII iso8859-1 letters in my
string literals without declaring an encoding, I get a deprecation
warning. (Declaring iso8859-1 works fine.) I see in the history of the
PEP that Latin-1 is not described as the default there -- but rather
the compiler's default encoding.

What's the correct behaviour, and where is it documented?

--
Magnus Lie Hetland
http://hetland.org