isinstance is broken

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Jan 20 06:32:20 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > I think not, because a type is always an object.
> >
> > isinstance(c, object) == issubclass(type(c), object) == True.
> >                       ^
> >            except for old-style instances
>
> Why would an explicit equality comparison to True (or False) ever be
> useful?

What?  I was making a point about why isinstance(<anything>, object)
is true, not suggesting code that anyone would write.

feeling-I've-missed-your-point-ly y'rs,
M.

--
  Well, yes.  I don't think I'd put something like "penchant for anal
  play" and "able to wield a buttplug" in a CV unless it was relevant