Soundex or Metaphone algorithms ?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Jan 15 06:48:54 EST 2003

You can also find a similar algorithm in my Python Spelling Construction
Kit.  It's the "genetic compression" algorithm from ASpell (well, at
least, my algorithm was written to follow the documentation for that
algorithm), with genetic just meaning it reads the compression rules
from language-specific rule-files. Might not be what you're looking for,
but I think it's fun :) .

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyspelling/

(Currently CVS only)

Enjoy,
Mike

Tim Churches wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 00:13, Arkana wrote:
>

>>hello,
>>
>>does anyone know an implementation of soundex or metaphone algorithm in python ?
>>
>>(or maybe a better algo)
>>

>Yes, you can find these and others in the encode module of the Febrl
>(Freely extensible biomedical record linkage) package, at
>http://datamining.anu.edu.au/projects/linkage.html
>
>Although the soundex and metaphone functions are OK, the implementations
>of some of the string comparator functions have subtle errors - these
>will be fixed in the next release of the package in a week or two (which
>also comes with unit tests to make detection of such errors easier in
>the future).
>
>Tim C

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder