Python vs. Ruby

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 1 11:22:57 EST 2003

Fred wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I know Python and have come to love it very much. Nearly all of my
> scripting tasks with large databases are written in it.
>
> My question is this -- what are the qualitative differences between
> Python and Ruby? Does Ruby has any strengths, either in the language
> itself or its available libraries, that are better than Python? Or are
> they pretty much even?

They seem to be roughly even, although Python seems to be more mature. Choosing
one over the other often appears to be a matter of liking or disliking
significant whitespace, explicit 'self', and Perlish syntax.

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)