strange solution with ftplib and changed firewall rules

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at puzzling.org
Fri Jan 31 08:31:06 EST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 12:36:59AM -0800, PiErre wrote:
[..snip FTP firewall problems..]

> Isn't all this problem twisted? Or is my solution twisted?

Nope, just that FTP and firewalls don't mix.  In fact, FTP is usually a bad
idea.

> Since it seems that quite all the firewalls in the world allows passive
> connections if any should I warn my customer that he could have
> a security problem?

If you're using FTP, regardless of firewalls and active or passive mode, you
probably have a security problem, as it transmits everything, including
authentication details, in the clear.

-Andrew.