New file utility for shutil - linktree.py

David MacQuigg macquigg at cadence.com
Thu Jan 2 15:14:21 EST 2003

Bjorn,

Thanks for your thoughtful comments on this proposal.

> Since Win* doesn't have symlinks it wouldn't do much for me
> <wink>.

Ouch! It's been so long since I've done anything in the M$ world, this didn't even occur to me.  It does lower the value of having a 'linktree' function when links don't exist :>)  Perhaps this new function doesn't deserve a place in the general for-all-users library.  On the other hand, links are such a useful tool, maybe we should pop a message "Sorry, links are not supported on your platform. Try Linux :>)  I think eventually M$ will support Linux, or at least add all of its useful functionality. :>)

Good suggestions on import * and printing messages.  In the next rev, I'll follow the style of distutils, and raise exceptions instead of print messages.

- Dave