traditional tk inter problem

Chris Lyon chris.lyon at spritenote.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 09:57:36 EST 2003

>   You're installing an alpha distribution.  You're installing it from
> source.  You're installing it onto a Linux distribution.  You're installing
> it onto a Linux distribution for which the primary means of packaging is
> -not- source.

I am aware of the alpha nature of 2.3a and I'm not normally a rushing
fool in these regards.

at the back of this desire is my understanding of some of the 'new'
features of distutils with regard to placing directories and files
into the same directoy that the modules go in. I've seen Guido has
used to my mind a considerable chunk of code to allow him to place non
py code into the directory that idle places it's modules in and I was
hoping to be able to sidetrack this procedure with the facilities
offered in 2.3a according to the documentation.

My final objective is to construct a python application that will
install it's own  cgiHTTPServer and the files it will be serving, I
would like to place the actual server script in a seperate directory
from the cgi scripts and also have some directory structure below the
server root.
Distutils seems to want to place .py modules where ever I want them
(nice) but all it's specified files are relative to the root of the
python installation and have to be specifically identified.

Is the canonical ( !! ) approach to have an install script that runs
all this ? If so I seem to loose a lot of the facilaties I gain from
distutils, specifically a simple de-install. The new documentation of
distutils addresses some ot these issues hense my interest.