Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Thu Jan 30 16:49:07 EST 2003

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Python is ALSO a great productivity tool for average programmers,
> raising their productivity (on the some hypothetical scale) from, say,
> 20 to 60.

Why don't they just shoot themselves in the foot with all the new concerns,
until they've mastered the drill and hence have become better programmers?
Sounds like the progression might be more like 20, 25, 15, 10, 20, 25, 30,
60.  Over that time period, how much better would they have gotten with C++?

> Therefore, it IS indeed no magic bullet -- it doesn't make the
> average programmer the equal of the excellent one -- but it would
> still be a stupid choice to forego its advantages at any level.

You would not inflict new tools on dummies needlessly.  You have to allow
for training time to achieve benefits.

20% of the world is real.