Python threading tutorial?

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Sat Jan 4 06:32:01 EST 2003

Hello,

I am looking for a tutorial on threading using Python. I do know Python, but
I don't know threading. I have read the documentation on the threading module
and searched for help on the web and in the archives, but I have not been able
to find what I'm looking for.

I don't really understand threading. If I have multiple threads, can these
threads interact? When should I use threads, and when shouldn't I? In which
cases are threads useful, and in which cases does the phrase on Regular
Expressions apply ("problem -> regex -> two problems")?

My case is an exercise application in which multiple object are randomly
wandering through a field, but when they meet they interact and go in
opposite directions. All those objects will be class instances and need to
"live" seperately, only interacting when they meet. Can threads help me in
this particular problem, or do threads have (very) different uses?

I hope someone can point me to Python-oriented documentation regarding
this questions.

yours,
Gerrit Holl.

	http://people.nl.linux.org/~gerrit/