Warning! Newbie issue - Impersonating a user on Win32

Doug Glenn dglenn at charter.net
Sat Jan 18 09:19:59 EST 2003

Thank you to all that helped me with this.

After diving into somewhat muddy and murky waters initially, it has
finally cleared up.

The script in the Python cookbook (p257) works great providing that you
already have the LoginUser in a group that has "Act as Operating
system" privileges, Once the LoginUser has these rights, they can
assign other rights to themselves as needed to run.

Although the documentation for the call does specify the caller needs
the SE_TCB_NAME privlege, it says nothing how you are to obtain it or
check for it.  Nor is it translated into its MS equivilent so it can
found without some prior research.

I am sure the people writing the docs thought it was perfectly clear.
And it was... to them.  <smile>  And now it is clear to me as well!

Again, thanks to all that helped, and for those lurking to find the
answer to the same problem, I hope this answers it for you :) Thanks to
Google and other search engines, now there is a thread to be found with
the answer as well <smile>

-----
Doug