Sticky Notes, which GUI toolkit supports...

Robert Amesz sheershion at mailexpire.com
Sun Jan 26 16:24:00 EST 2003

yaipa h. wrote:

> I would like to write a Sticky note application. So my question is
> which GUI toolkit, if any, supports the notion of an object being
> always on top.

Well, in wxPython you can use the wxSTAY_ON_TOP style for a wxFrame.
Unfortunately, that only works for Windows, according to the docs. For
other platforms you might make it work using the Raise() method in
either a timer or idle event handler. You'd need to experiment.

> One material note is that the toolkit must support Solaris as well as
> Linux and u$oft platforms.

MS isn't a problem, Linux + GTK also works, but I haven't got a clue
about Solaris. Presumably, if Solaris runs GTK, it should work, but
you'd have to recompile wxPython for that platform. You might want to
ask this question on the  wxPython mailing list if you want to go that
route.

Robert Amesz