Best Python editor (under Linux)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jan 3 13:53:46 EST 2003

Cousin Stanley wrote:

> Peter ...
>
> Would it perhaps be possible to use  STCStyleEditor.py  that is included
> in the wxPython samples to interface to SciTE ...
>
> I've found editing the SciTE config files a bit cumbersome ...

Not being remotely a SciTE expert (in terms of the implementation,
which by the way is C++, not Python) I can't answer that.

The only thing I've tried to do with the wxPython stuff is to run a
simple editor and compare performance.  It was unusably slow for my
purposes, unfortunately, compared to SciTE.  I believe every keystroke
was being passed through a Python layer for processing, which killed
the performance.  I'd love to learn otherwise, but it didn't seem
like it would be possible to make a reasonably "snappy" editor just
using the wxPython stuff around Scintilla.  (I'm still surprised,
if that is true, since I thought that kind of thing was one of the
design goals.)

-Peter