2.3 a1 idle.py vs. idle.pyw

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Jan 19 10:55:23 EST 2003

[Tim]
> I'll show you exactly what I just did to run idle.py:
>
>     C:\Python23>python tools\idle\idle.py
>
> from a DOS box.  The IDLE that came up was (of course) for 2.3a1.

[Martin v. Löwis]
> What happens when you double-click idle.py?

I don't <wink>.  I'm on Win98SE here, and a longstanding bug, presumably in
Tcl/Tk, causes system instability if you try to run IDLE via the .py file.

If I were to try, I'd get the 2.2.2 IDLE, but because when I installed 2.3a1
I used the "advanced" button in the installer and told it *not* to associate
file extensions.  My .py and .pyw extensions are still associated with my
2.2 installation.

OK, I installed 2.3a1 again, without any special options.  Clicking idle.py
brought up 2.3a1 then.