Python vs. Matlab

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Jan 22 19:09:14 EST 2003

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 15:41, Mongryong wrote:
> Python vs Matlab (or any other similar language).
>
> Any opinions on this comparison?  Benchmarks? Functionality?

Python is becoming more and more popular in the Scientific community.

> One big up for Python is that it's FREE!

So are Octave, SciLab, R, etc.

Python is nice because of it's flexibilty, and ability to make use of
existing C and fortran libraries (via f2c), and it's clean, elegant
syntax.  But it still has a long uphill battle to compete with all the
toolkits available for Matlab.  Depending on the libraries, it can be
speed competitive with Matlab, and if the right toolkits are available,
I find I get more reuse out of my python code, typically, because I can
organize it with classes and packages.

Look at SciPy, ScientificPython, SalStat, for just some of the
possibilities.  But one needs to know the problem domain before
recommending Python outright.  There are many powerful tools that come
with the free Matlab workalikes, that Python may not yet have (or even
ever have).

Matlab is expensive because it has very useful and comprehensive
Toolboxes, that people are willing to pay for.  But the alternatives
are getting better and better.

--
Bay Area Python Interest Group - http://www.baypiggies.net/

Chad Netzer