About object reference and threads

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Jan 27 13:38:09 EST 2003

> How do I tell a Thread object what Queue object to use? I have a
> parent object that has a Queue and a Thread as members. I want the
> parent object to create the thread, tell it to write to to the Queue
> object, then start the Thread. How do I do this? How do I get a
> reference to an object?
> --

Did you read http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/82965 ?

What part of ThreadedClient didn't you understand?  That's the
parent object, that has a Queue  (made like this)

       self.queue = Queue.Queue()

and a Thread (made like this)

       self.thread1 = threading.Thread(target=self.workerThread1)

you start the thread like this:

       self.thread1.start()

when workerThread1 wants to write to the queue it does this:

       self.queue.put(msg)

Please let me know what confused you.  I want this recipe to be really
easy to understand, and I cannot fix the confusing bits if I do not know
what they are.  All the 'master' gui stuff?

Laura Creighton