More usenet usage statistics, by programming language

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Fri Jan 24 15:47:21 EST 2003

"Aaron K. Johnson" <akjmicro at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:b0s7hn$fum$1 at bob.news.rcn.net...

> Hello all,
>
> For what its worth, I've updated my usenet language stats (interpret
them how
> you will)
>
> This time, the data reflects the actual number of DIFFERENT posters to
each
> group in the last 200 posts to each group, as opposed to just the
total posts
> to the group.
>
> I think this gives a better idea about how many people relative to
population
> of programmers use each language. There are some surprises. Like, what
in the
> hell is Clipper?
>
> You may also decide to put c/c++ together, in which case the total is
1511,
> right under java (which makes intuitive sense)
>
> Best,
> Aaron.
>
> survey begins here:
>
> java 3715
> (c/c++ taken together) 1511
> basic 1292
> perl 1240
> c++ 953
> pascal 905
> clipper 690
> python 647
> labview 579
> javascript 570
> c 558
> clarion 491
> tcl 443
> asm 381
> scheme 361
> vhdl 359
> fortran 341
> lisp 325
> ruby 315
> cobol 310
> postscript 308
> ada 267
> smalltalk 262
> prolog 231
> functional 230
> idl-pvwave 226
> forth 223
> verilog 220
> awk 205
> vrml 151
> rexx 142
> apl 139
> mumps 124
> pl1 117
> objective-c 106
> misc 105
> eiffel 99
> logo 78
> ml 72
> asm370 63
> dylan 37
> modula3 30
> oberon 23
> modula2 22
> pop 19
> icon 13
> idl 12
> limbo 5
> clos 4
> prograph 2
> clu 2
> visual 0
> sather 0
> hermes 0
> [...]

I don't understand. Number of unique posters in the last 200 posts to a
newsgroup I understand,
and 647 to the (one) Python newsgroup I understand, but I don't
understand how you get
647 different posters out of the last 200 posts.

Oh, and Clipper is an old data base language, somewhere in the dbase
family.

John Roth