Python use growing or shrinking

Chris Keyes chrisk at nipltd.com
Thu Jan 23 11:58:50 EST 2003

Python is used all over the place

Redhat use a lot of python (tools like printconf), I'm sure other guys do.

Zope is almost all python,

There are several other apps written in python that are fairly
mainstream, mailman etc...

I'm sure IBM do use Python, their guys write articles about it

I'm sure I've seen that NASA use Python (anyone?)

IBM will never use Python for everything... There are always times when
another language will be better suited. Some more commercial backing
would be nice I guess, to 'spread the word'.

Looking at somewhere like amazon.com you can see there are many more
Python books than there were a few years ago. Thats a good sign, as are
the number of people developing for python developers (see the IDE thread).

I tried going back to VB having worked with Python for a short while,
and it sucked. The only thing I like about VB is the integration of the
GUI with the code. I've never really figured out how to do that with Python.

Python isn't yet a major buzzword, but its good at what it does and it
has a loyal and growing following. Millions may try C#, that just means
there will be 1,000,000s of C# programmers around, all looking for work
etc... Of course you could believe this report, much like the ones
saying that windows would wipe out linux....