MS SQL Server

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Jan 22 11:09:08 EST 2003

Axel Grune <NineOfSix at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi, I'm wondering if Microsoft's SQL Server can be accessed using Python?
> I've found the both ODBC moduls on www.python.org, 'mxODBC' and 'ODBC
> interface'. Do they work reliable? What's about the Oracle moduls?

Well, the Oracle modules don't work well with MS SQL Server ;-) But other than
that, I haven't encountered any problems with DCOracle or DCOracle2 so far.

The ODBC module from python.org is UNSUPPORTED (read the page). If it works,
good. Otherwise you can fix it yourself or consider yourself screwed.

Apart from ODBC and mxODBC (which is reportedly high quality), there's the
possibility to use ADODBAPI.

As always,
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Python/Modules/Databases_and_Persistence/
is useful. It lists

ADODBAPI - A DB-API 2.0 module for accessing data sources via Micrsosoft ADO.
[Open Source, LGPL]

with the URL http://adodbapi.sourceforge.net/

which requires the win32 extensions (ADO is a COM library).

> --
> Gnade bring uns nicht weiter;-)
> [approx. translation: Mercy doesn't help us.]

You might consider moving to Texas, then ;-)

Gerhard
--
Gerhard Häring
OPUS GmbH München