compare types?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Jan 1 14:46:05 EST 2003

Gerrit Holl <gerrit at nl.linux.org> wrote previously:
|As I Understand It, you want to know whether something is a list or not.
|Then why use isinstance()? To check whether it's a list, just use type():
| 46 >>> from types import ListType
| 47 >>> type(a) == ListType
|1

    >>> from types import *
    >>> class NewList(list): pass
    >>> lst = [1,2,3]
    >>> nl = NewList([4,5,6])
    >>> type(lst) is ListType
    1
    >>> type(nl) is ListType
    0
    >>> isinstance(lst, list)
    1
    >>> isinstance(nl, list)
    1

Of course, it's up to you to decide which answer you are more interested
in.  But for most people, the 'isinstance()' answer is more informative.

Yours, Lulu...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy