Sound programming: Tone production in Python?

Jacob Smullyan smulloni at smullyan.org
Thu Jan 23 11:28:59 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1043268167.29013.python-list at python.org>,
Joseph Blaylock wrote:
> So: can anybody tell me a sure-fire way to generate tones from Python?  Bonus
> points for sticking to packages that are in Debian unstable, or part of the
> basic distribution.  And further, can anybody provide me pointers to more
> generalized sound/music programming resources for Python, especially of a
> tutorial nature?

I suggest looking at software synthesis packages like csound
(csounds.com) and in particular these projects, in no particular
order:

* the csound variant icsound, which has a python extension
  (http://leporello.agnula.org/~maurizio/icsound/)
* pythonsound (http://pythonsound.sf.net)
* athenaCL (http://www.flexatone.com/athena.html)
* pysco (http://www.slinkp.com/code)