killing thread ?

Paul Rubin phr-n2003b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Fri Jan 24 14:04:36 EST 2003

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
> It's not a question of right or wrong: Python was intended to be very
> cross-platform, as opposed to many other languages which try to provide
> support for every nuance of every different platform which results in a
> situation in which programs are absolutely *not* cross-platform because
> even relatively simple programs, e.g. those using threads, cannot run
> the same on more than one supported platform.

Deciding whether to use features that arespecific to a particular OS
should be the prerogative of the application designer, not the
programming language.  The reason we have OS wars all the time and
everyone has opinions about what OS is best, is that OS's are not all
the same.  And if your favorite OS has some advantage over other OS's,
but Python won't let you use your OS's advantage to make your
application better, that kind of defeats the idea of Python as a
platform for writing the best applications that you can.

All kinds of stuff like process control, file i/o operations, etc.
are OS dependent and Python supports OS specific calls to deal with
those things.  Why on earth should threads have to get a bigger dose
of OS-independence religion than ioctl gets?  This just baffles me.