Something like asynchronous XML-RPC possible?

Irmen de Jong irmen at NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 25 19:40:27 EST 2003

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> How "realtime" is "sort of realtime"?  Are you on a fast enough, lightly
> loaded enough network?  You may still be able to get away with a system
> which queues the event on the server side and just returns "okay".  On my
> XML-RPC server, I can call its echo method with very short turnaround times:

[...]

> (It's an active server, so variability in response time is to be expected.)
> It's multi-threaded, spinning off a thread for each request.  Even over the
> internet I can get round-trip echo times in the neighborhood of 0.2 seconds.

Interesting. Not to show off, but for comparison, I just did a quick
test with Pyro.
On my measly 128kbit internet uplink, it reaches:
  avg. time per method call: 0.04039
On my 100 mbit LAN, it reaches:
  avg. time per method call: 0.00147

Pyro's oneway call (asynchronous) is *much* faster than that:
100 times fe 0.333815932274 ( that's 0.0033 sec/call) on my internet
link, and 100 times fe 0.0474219322205 ( so that's 0.00047 sec/call) on
my LAN.

Notice how much faster a oneway call really is: 12 times faster on my
slow uplink, but still 3 times faster on the fast network.

Irmen de Jong