New version of PEP 304

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Jan 31 12:37:49 EST 2003

I just checked in a new version of PEP 304.  It should be available at

    http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0304.html

within a few hours (look for version >= 1.10).

There is also a patch against CVS which implements most of the PEP for
Unix-ish systems.  That's referenced in the PEP but also available directly
at

    http://www.python.org/sf/677103

Known shortcomings:

    * Not all regression tests pass yet, mostly (I think) because some tests
      expect to find auxiliary files in the same directory as mod.__file__.

    * There is no support yet for Windows paths, but this shouldn't be hard
      to add.  I just can't build on Windows.

    * You can't delete a source file after generating a .pyc file because
      the .pyc file won't be in the same directory.  I think I will have to
      modify the search for .pyc files to include the bytecode base
      directory as well.

Feedback welcome.  Windows C programmers even more welcome. ;-)

Skip