PEP 303: Extend divmod() for Multiple Divisors

Thomas Bellman bellman at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jan 2 16:50:23 EST 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> writes:

> Thomas Bellman wrote:

>>     The idea comes from APL, which has an operator that does this.  (I
>>     don't remember what the operator looks like, and it would probably
>>     be impossible to render in ASCII anyway.)

> Oh boy oh boy!  I actually know this one.  It's an operator called
> encode, which looks like a stylized T (you know, in the same way that

Hmm, on python-dev I have got someone saying it's called 'base',
and someone else thinks it's called 'radix'.

> Actually, the APL operator takes the list of moduli as the left
> argument.
> I knew that reading that APL book (a language I am almost certain never
> to use in the real world in my entire life) last month would pay off!

Ah, I see.  It was about a decade ago that I read a book on APL,
so my memory is a bit hazy with the details. :-)

--
Thomas Bellman,   Lysator Computer Club,   Linköping University,  Sweden
"I don't think [that word] means what you    !  bellman @ lysator.liu.se