Python vs .Net

Karsten W. Rohrbach karsten at rohrbach.de
Sun Jan 5 05:19:20 EST 2003

Etienne Charland <mystery at golden.net> wrote:
> I would like to compare Python with .Net. First of all, for those who knows
> .Net, what are the pros and the cons of each?

.NET is Microsoft's approach to embrace and extend the OpenSource
"scene" by publishing a quasi-standard framework which consists of the
company's "core technologies" (COM/DCOM/passport, just to name a few)
that are ported in some way to run on anything that's out there, barely,
and "a little better" on their platform.

.NET provides several language bindings (C$$$^H^H^H#, ahem, MSVC,
VB,... but why would you /want/ to code in those languages once you made
friends with Python?[1]).

Python is an interpreted, object-oriented, weak-typed, [...] programming
language that enables you to write elegant and working code. Python
employs "third-party" bindings to C-libraries or native Python modules
to provide additional functionalty or access to third-party APIs.

As you can see, both of them are quite different things and thus, cannot
be easily compared.

Regards,
/k

[1] SCNR, you know where to put the irony tags ;-)