Python vs. Matlab

Matt Feinstein notspecified at dev.null
Fri Jan 24 13:42:44 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:32:06 GMT, Harry George
<hgg9140 at cola2.ca.boeing.com> wrote:

>notspecified at dev.null (Matt Feinstein) writes:
>> I would not bother with trying to get Python to do the things that
>> Matlab does well. I would be interested in leveraging Python's strong
>> points in a way that would help to overcome bad parts of Matlab.
>>
>Would you use python with the bindings to Numeric, Scientific, or GSL?
>Do these eat further into Matlab turf than raw Python?

My experience is that the place where help is needed is in specifying
sets of initializing and boundary conditions & interfaces for
computations rather than in actually doing the number crunching. This
is particularly true for big computations-- A well-designed Python
specify-the-computation library would (I suspect) allow a far clearer
and more flexible interface to a desired 'computation matrix' than
Matlab ever could.

Matt Feinstein    does not include his email address
                  in the text of usenet postings.
--------
Harvard Law of Automotive Repair: Anything that goes away
by itself will come back by itself.