Python23: cannot inherit from bool?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Wed Jan 15 10:54:57 EST 2003

"Andrew Thompson" <andrew.thompson at ashecastle.com> wrote in message
> Inheriting from bool is a clever idea from Smalltalk.
>
> Where true and false subclass the abstract type bool.
>
> This then makes if,and,or,not all very natural to define.
>
> Andrew

Unfortunately, that's not what Python is doing, and the Smalltalk
implementation doesn't map at all well. If I understand you,
true and false are separate classes in Smalltalk. In Python, they
are instances of one class, so they can't have different methods
for the logical operators.

That's a performance restriction. I could hack a normal function
into an instance and expect it to work, but I can't do that with
one of the builtins because the interpreter doesn't look at the
instance dictionary first. It goes right to the class, and looks in
a special table rather than looking in the dictionary.

John Roth