SimpleXMLRPCServer and forking

Adam Hupp hupp at upl.cs.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 24 19:54:01 EST 2003

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:19:29 +0000, Chuck May wrote:

> Does anyone know the best way to handle that?  Should I use a fork() in
> the dump function?  I'm not sure how that will affect the XML-RPC server
> though.  I could call an external program and launch it as a background
> process, but I'd like to keep the code self-contained.
>
> 2. Am I correct in saying that SimpleXMLRPCServer can only process a
> single request at a time?  It doesn't appear to be using the forking
> model.  If that is the case, does anyone know an easy way to create a
> forking version?  I could copy the source code and make some changes,
> but I was wondering if there was a way to subclass instead.

SimpleXMLRPCServer can do concurrent authenticated connections but you
have to do it all yourself.  I had the same problem a few months ago and
ended up with this:  http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~hupp/beatq.tar.gz

It's not a finished product but it does do HTTP authentication, supports
multiple concurrent connections and provides a connection oriented
interface (vs. XMLRPC's normally connectionless interface).  I should note
that SOAP appears to be quite a bit more featureful, expecially WRT
authentication.

-Adam