Sticky Notes, which GUI toolkit supports...

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Sun Jan 26 05:43:14 EST 2003

> All,
>
> I would like to write a Sticky note application. So my question is
> which GUI toolkit, if any, supports the notion of an object being
> always on top.
>
> One material note is that the toolkit must support Solaris as well as
> Linux and u$oft platforms.
>
> Yaipa.h
> --

This is not a question for the toolkit -- any gui has a way to say
'put me on top' but a question for your window manager.  As such it is
subject to whatever whims the user has.  Some users configure their
window managers so that whatever window has keyboard focus is always
on top.  Some users want to click on the frame before a window floats
to the top, and are happy to have windows with keyboard focus which are
not on top.  Some users want keyboard focus to follow the mouse, and
some want to have to mouse click before keyboard focus moves regardless
of where their mouse pointer wanders all over the screen.

For a sticky note application, I would think that what you would want
is a window that is bound to another window, so that when people move
the window that has the sticky-note, the note goes with it, and is on
top of that window. Am I misunderstanding what you want to do?

Laura Creighton