Is it advisable to replace 'self' with '_' or 'I' or something shorter?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Jan 11 13:43:09 EST 2003

In article <ThZT9.98$B62.32373 at news.uswest.net>, Kevin Altis wrote:

> The most common is probably 's'. However, it makes it more difficult for
> other people to read your source if don't use 'self', so it isn't advisable.
> You might consider binding a "macro" to type out "self." if typing the
> characters bothers you

I don't know about the OP, but I don't care about the typing.  That's NRE.
It's the reading that's a problem.  If you've expressions like

they end up looking like

   (((self.a+self.b)/self.c)*(self.d-self.x))-self.y

I have a much easier time grokking the former.  In some cases you end up
with lines 100+ characters long instead of 20 or 30.

Using local variables helps...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I want to kill
                                  at               everyone here with a cute