String methods understanding anything but ASCII?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jan 21 05:48:42 EST 2003

mlh at vier.idi.ntnu.no (Magnus Lie Hetland) writes:

> (u'ø', though, uses 'iso8859-1', since that is what my c library
> uses, I suppose.)

Err, I *think* that's because unicode code points are a superset of
iso-8859-1 code points.

Python 2.3 will allow you to specify which encoding a source file's
unicode strings are in (and complain at you if you use non-ASCII
characters without explication), but I don't know what the interactive
interpreter does.

Cheers,
M.

--
     ARTHUR:  Why are there three of you?
  LINTILLAS:  Why is there only one of you?