passwords to CGI

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Wed Jan 15 04:06:45 EST 2003

hwlgw at hotmail.com (Will Stuyvesant) writes:
> > Anyway, without knowing what kind of site we're talking about, it
> > doesn't make sense to say SSL is worthwhile.
>
> I don't know about setting up SSL for a site.  Do you think my local
> ISP would support it?  I mean is it normal to expect them to provide it?

Some do, others don't.  Ask yours if it does.

> About the kind of site: it is build around an online game I am
> developing.  The challenge is to use only HTML and CSS, trying even to
> avoid images.  There is a *lot* you can do with CSS only and I like it.

Unless it's a game where you expect serious cheating to be going on,
or if you have game elements that are traded for real-world money
(like people sell Everquest characters on ebay), you probably don't
need to bother with SSL.

> I installed the apache web server on my XP laptop and guess what, it
> works :)  Had to change a .conf script though in typical unix style to
> enable CGI.  So the POST problems with IE are over now.

If you're running your application as a cgi, that will slow it down
some under heavy loads, but that may not be a problem for you.