Python for CGI is dead?

Michael Urban urba0083 at tc.umn.edu
Sun Jan 12 13:47:44 EST 2003

I would argue that CGI itself is dead. Or at least it should be. It's
an outdated technology that is a huge performance hit on the server.

However, mod_python is very much alive (embed Python interpretor into
Apache to avoid starting a new copy of the interpretor each time
the script it run).

You might also want to look into Webware. I've played with it a bit
and have been quite impressed. Webware is basically a Python
application server similar to a Java application server except
it uses Python. Like a JAS, Webware lets you use PSP, (embed
Python inside HTML), and also Python servlets.

More info here:

http://webware.sourceforge.net