New Python block cipher API, comments wanted

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Jan 29 03:10:56 EST 2003

Paul Rubin <phr-n2003b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> wrote previously:
|In the new scheme, there's less
|need for something like PEP 272, because the Python interface to the
|codebook is so much simpler than PEP 272 that it's obvious how to do
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing is ever obvious.

The users of a new module/API would *not* be only the sophisticated
folks on the Python crypto list (which I have not looked at, I confess,
although I do know enough crypto to understand the issues).

"Ordinary" Python programmer are more likely to see a proposed API via a
PEP than they are on a specialized mailing list.  And those average
programmers are the ones who may or may not find the API intuitive and
"obvious."  I'm not saying it wouldn't be...  I just do not believe
something is obvious by fiat.

|The author of PEP 272 has told me he's ok with the new interface.

Then have him/her modify the PEP to state as much.

Yours, David...

--
---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
Echelon North Korea Nazi cracking spy smuggle Columbia fissionable Stego