FW: Switch statements again

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Jan 16 12:28:17 EST 2003

Carl Banks <imbosol at vt.edu> writes:

> Personally, the elifs don't bother me in the least.  In Python, the
> switches are likely to make indentation a pain; it's not clear whether
> case tags should be indented or not.  If they are, you have two
> indentation levels for the code inside.  If they aren't, you've broken
> a fundamental property of indentation.

Why does not indenting the case tags break a fundamental property of
indentation? Why is something like (using syntax suggested in PEP
275):

when my_value:
    # Can we do something useful with this?
in (...):
    code
in (...):
    more code
else:
    yet more code

Any worse than:

if my_value in (...): code
elif my_value in (...):
    more code
else:
    more code

I don't see a real problem with the first case.

And yes, I like the when ... in syntax suggestion.

        <mike