[ann] Minimal Python project

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Jan 12 09:50:48 EST 2003

Mike Meyer wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>
> > The C compiler has no knowledge of the conditions that will exist
> > when the code runs.  Even if it did, its job is already done, while
> > the HotSpot compiler can run again, and again, tuning the
> > application as conditions change.
>
> That's not strictly true. I've dealt with compilers that could examine
> the results of profiled runs of the code being compiled, and use that
> information in optimizing the resulting code. You could even rerun the
> profiled version on new data and recompile the code.

Thanks, I had never heard of such a thing.

It doesn't help in many cases, however, since conditions are often
dynamic, and doing profiling runs on your server and recompiling
it, stopping, upgrading, and restarting it just to improve its
performance under changing conditions is probably infeasible... ;-)

-Peter