Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue Jan 28 19:28:19 EST 2003

> I find that if I'm working in python I concentrate more on solutions to
> problems, whereas with c++ I tend to concentrate more on structure and
> architecture. However, that's not to say that my thinking is any more
> abstract in either language.
>
> I wonder if there's a way of measuring what language encourages which way of
> thinking?
>
> John Ochiltree
> --

When I was working for the Canadian military, we got people working
on problems and then stuck them in machines which measured blood flow
in different regions of the brain.  Neither python nor C++ were
invented then, but C and Lisp were.

Statistically, C problem solvers were way more active in the
language-processing-and symbol-manipulation areas of the brain then
they were in the parts of the brain associated with imagery, drawing,
and conceptualising.  Lisp problem solvers were more balanced.

Certain individuals bucked the trend, however.  Whether blood flow
actually measures 'something is going on' as opposed to 'something is
being attempted' was hotly debated at the time (mid 1980s).

Laura Creighton