Commercial IDEs: is it worth it?

Y2KYZFR1 jarrodhroberson at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 22:56:44 EST 2003

Doug Glenn <dglenn at charter.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1043278720.24130.python-list at python.org>...
> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 06:08, Thomas Weholt wrote:
> > Opinions on what, where and why to pay for a Python-friendly IDE
> > would be appreciated.
>
> I use Komodo (personal edition 49$), Wingide (Standard, 149$) and
> BlackAdder Personal Edition (beta, 49$).
>
> Call me stupid for it if you want. :)
>
> Komodo for its project management and license for both Windows and
> Linux. version for the same price. (I  think . I use it on the same
> computer).
>
> Wingide for the excellant source code brower and the source management
> tools. I prefer the look and feel of Komodo, but Wingide has far more
> features.
>
> BlackAdder for the PyQT integration. Although I could have used the open
> source items to build the GUIs with the free QTDesigner, the
> documentation for PyQT on it was better than anything I found on the
> web regarding PyQT even though it is not finished.
>
> Personally as a newbie to Python, I am looking for all the help I can
> get without resorting to showing my abject ignorance in the list :).
>
> On a personal note...
> One other reason to purchase.. they wrote it for Linux and I want to
> support their efforts. I even buy autoupdates for my distro so they
> stay in business rather than downloading it. There is no such thing as
> a free lunch. I try to make sure put my money where my mouth is <smile>
>
> -----
> Doug

I have to say I have been quite pleased with WingIDE, it is not the
prettiest thing in the world, but it is functional and definately
faster than working with out it.

I am a long time SlickEdit fan, if you do multi-language development
it is by far the most cost effective solution I have ever seen.

That said I am a new Python programmer because I needed a scripting
system for some Java and C++ applications and did not want to
re-invent the wheel, I did some research and selected Python.