Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Brandon Van Every vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com
Wed Jan 29 23:10:56 EST 2003

Nomad wrote:

> C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.  However, with C++,
> you're likely to blow off your whole leg.

Ok, I have to ask for some apples to apples in the strategic comparison
dept.  C++ has a bazillion users.  Well, that's an exaggeration, but it has
the lion's share of the programmers.  Enter Python, and "avant garde" Python
aficionados such as found in this forum.  A tiny minority of early converts
who do not experience problems because they're all good engineers anyways.
When Python is finally used by every schmuck out there, to the same degree
that C++ is, I predict you'll see as many people blowing off their leg with
Python as with C++.  At least in terms of rough orders of magnitude.

Python may a be a great productivity tool for the power programmer, but I
seriously doubt that it's any kind of magic bullet for the average engineer.

20% of the world is real.