Reliably getting/setting the (current) encoding name?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Jan 31 12:35:30 EST 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

>"Mike C. Fletcher" <mcfletch at rogers.com> writes:
>

>>The codecs module doesn't appear to have a "get default codec name"
>>function.  So I'm asking the question:
>>
>>    How does one reliably get the currently-active default codec name
>>    (i.e. the one that reflects the currently-set locale) as suitable
>>    for use with uncode.encode( ... )?
>>

>I don't know the answer to this one, I'm afraid.
>
 >>> import sys
 >>> sys.getdefaultencoding()
'ascii'

(Alex mentioned it in his post)

>Here I'd say: don't add conversion code "all over the joint", add it
>"at the edges", i.e. where the unicode strings get into your library.

Yes, I'm not particularly infatuated with the idea of multi-line
conversion hacks all over my libraries :) , the difficulty with using
the "edges" is that the (GUI) library is constantly interacting with
various wxTextCtrl objects, which, in the Unicode builds of wxPython are
suddenly returning unicode instead of str objects, which means the
Unicode strings are arriving all through the library, sometimes being
directed at the object model, sometimes at status messages, sometimes to
the logging system etc.  At the moment, I'm going to go down the path to
evil and requiring the application to set a useful default encoding
using the hack Alex pointed out.

Enjoy,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher