USB support for Pywin?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jan 28 19:43:54 EST 2003

Spencer Ernest Doidge wrote:

> What, if anything, exists by way of USB support for Python in the
> wonderful (!) world of  Windows? I would like to write scripts that communicate
> with devices via USB, if that is feasible.

USB devices generally(*) either emulate existing devices, such as serial
ports -- in which case Python already supports them as the emulated
device -- or they have a special DLL just for the purpose, and programs
must be written specifically to talk to them -- in which case "ctypes"
or the older "calldll" modules might be of use, or you could wrap the
DLL with your own extension written in C. (ugh)

(*) I'm no expert in the world of USB...

-Peter